Saturday, January 09, 2010
She picked a place in Ft Lauderdale and we arrived Friday the 08th for a week in the sun/not sun.
Apparently Florida is having record breaking cold temperatures.
Don't laugh-- I know there is not snow here like back home, but there has been snow in Florida, orange crops are freezing and iguanas are falling out of trees (They are cold blooded ad when there is a cold snap they fall right out of the trees).
Monday morning it was colder in Miami in the morning than Juneau Alaksa--no joke!
So, the first full day here it was cold and rainy. We managed to get to town to buy groceries right before the rains hit.
Andrew looked at maps and travel guides and figured out if we took the trolley--we could get to the grocery store easily, and for 50cents.
We had a nice big walk before finally hailing a trolley--took some pictures on the way.
A pink house for Brenna:
(these signs make me laugh)
The grocery store:
(We took this picture for the kids too--they LOVE the movie "Because of Winn Dixie"
We had a great lunch at a seafood place (Clam Chowder and Clam Fritters for me, burger for hubby)...and came back.
We got to do a video chat via skype with the kids and family who were visiting with Hubby's brother and wife in Toronto.
We also had our first hotel/microwave cooked meal:
Friday, January 01, 2010
This is my Sister In Law, Lindsay's recipe (Hi Lindsay!)
We tried it out tonight and it was awesome!!!
(The highlighted sections are the ingredients she omitted when making it.)
I also tried to make Roti, recipe from here.
(I think I need more practice with that one)
* 4 chicken breast
* 2 tbsp butter
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 1 1/2 tbsp grated gingerroot
* 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
* 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
* 3/4 tsp ground coriander
* 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 1 can (28 oz/798 mL) diced tomatoes, drained
* 1 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1/3 cup light sour cream (not fat-free)
* 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
* 1 tbsp cashew/almond butter
* Hot cooked basmati rice (optional)
1. While chicken is baking, make sauce. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander, cinnamon and cumin. Cook 1 more minute. Add drained tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. Transfer the sauce to a blender and purée until smooth. Return puréed sauce to pot and heat. Stir in sour cream, cilantro and cashew/almond butter. Add cut-up chicken and mix well. Cook just until chicken is hot. Serve over hot basmati rice, if desired.