Friday, August 08, 2008

Olympics

So the Olympics started today.
I was watching the parade of Nations with my daughter and explaining what the Olympics are (and trying to explain to her why Mommy is not there as an athlete...)

I have mixed feelings about these Olympics.

I know one of the athletes for Canada and I know how hard she works every day to be the best at what she does.
I know the pride that athletes feel representing their country whether they win a medal or not.

I know the sacrifice that some countries make to send their athletes to compete.

But I am torn...
I am not in support of China. I am appalled that there has not been more discussion or outcry about their Human Rights Violations.

But--Pippi posted something about these sentiments on her blog, and now Bev offered a challenge for bloggers to feature something about Tibet and to remind us all that:
"None of us are free until ALL of us are free"

You can read more here and here

Pippi also dyed some yarn in a colourway called "Free Tibet" which was inspired by Tibetan prayer flags...
Awesome idea...

0 comments: