Sunday, March 04, 2007

Still here, still sick

Thanks for all your well wishes.

Yep, am still sick.

I won't bore you with the details--they go something like this (sleep, eat soup, sleep, drink tea)

repeat for about 4 days and you're caught up.

I wake up every morning thinking I'll feel better--I don't.

I think the fever has finally left though--which is good. Now I don't' feel like I'm going to pass out all the time.

Princess B caught the cold and is sneezing, coughing and restless in the night.

Yesterday morning I woke up to the most horrible sound I think I've ever heard.

It was Little man's breathing--it sounded like a plastic cup being dragged across the floor (I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it sounded like).

I woke him up as he was gasping for breath took one look at him and told hubby he needed to go to the hospital.

He couldn't catch a full breath, his eyes were cloudy and strange and he couldn't look at me.

They diagnosed croup and gave him 2 treatments of a steroid and did x-rays of his lungs just to be sure.

He passed out on my lap yesterday and had a fitful nap.

We have to give him a puffer 4 times/day and more often if he needs it.

He hates the thing.

The problem is, his throat hurts and then he cries, which makes him cough, which makes him cry, which makes him wheeze, which makes us pull the puffer out, which makes him cry.

Repeat, repeat repeat.

Now it's Sunday and he's had a 1/2 hour nap today and is so tired he's talking about "boats" in the TV room but he won't nap. It's like he's afraid to sleep for fear of coughing.
I don't know.

Anyways. For the first 3 days I was too sick to knit but as of Thursday night I could see straight enough to be able to work on my sock:

(sorry for the fuzzy pictures, I blame the cold medicine)

It's half a Monkey!
Monkey pattern by Cookie A from

I'm not sure if the pattern is accurate in anything past the heel as I was hopped up on cold medicine.

Because of kids, I have not taken cold medicine in about 5 years.When it works, it' beautiful stuff.
I don't think it's working anymore.
I took a half dose of NyQuil last night--and although it somewhat helped to clear my congestion my brain has taken a vacation. That stuff is powerful.

My BIL calls it the "How did I end up on the Kitchen floor?" medicine.

Hubby has just informed me that he will be going on a retreat for the next 3 days.
Ha ha ha ha
No, really.
I guess I am going to have to be better by tomorrow.
3 days with a sick Mommy, a croup-y baby and a fussy 4 y/old.

Let the good times roll.


m. said...

Ann-Marie: I'm sad to hear you are still poorly. Just a warning, Nyquil is not what it used to be. I had stopped taking it after girls were born too, come to find out they reformulated and it's almost useless now. Ask for the stuff they have to keep behind the counter. :)

Allegra said...

Wow, hang in there!!! I hope everyone gets better soon! Your Monkey looks great!


That's horrible and awful. We are all sick here too at chez Kitty, but nowhere near as bad as you all are! The Monkey sock looks good to me, I'm sure any pattern mistakes can be forgiven. :) Get better!