Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Book Review

Remember the preview of some books I was teasing about before Christmas? You thought I had forgotten huh?
Nope, but with the craziness that is Christmas, stomach virus, company on top of company and everything else, there just hasn't been time.


One was also a secret book that can only be revealed now.

There are 3 books in total but I'll review them one at a time so as not to overwhelm with too many books at one time. (More so for me--there are many things in these books that I love and I don't want to overwhelm my brain or to-do list!!)

I now present:
Classic Knits by Erika Knight




(picture swiped from Random House Canada..go and look at their site..go right now..I'll wait)
(Just look at their Knitting section!!!)


I thought this book would be nice as I'm not one for weird patterns (except for hats) and can't follow all the trends in knitwear.

This book is brand new (just released January 2nd!!) and can be purchased from the Random House site here, or Amazon.ca

Erika Knight had written many books, and although I'm not familiar with her patterns, this book impresses me.


I need to take some pictures of the book with better lighting, but in a short list, there are sweaters, scarves, vests, bags, socks, gloves a shrug etc etc.

Some of the yarns called for are beyond my budget (a lot of Rowan, Debbie Bliss and Jaeger Silk) so I would likely substitute with other yarns.

In the back cover she goes through a list of the recommended yarns, giving recommended needle size, gauge, ball size and yarn specification so you can easily substitute. She even offers websites that sells these yarns.

These patterns are beautiful and although are "classic" in style, they still look modern in that they use chunky yarns, use (some) off the shoulder designs and modern patterns--a shrug, messenger bag etc.



The patterns that grab me most are the Casual Sweater, Slouch socks, silk shrug and deep-v sweater.
I think I'm goign to start with the slouch socks and I have beautiful green handspun that I think will fit the bill.

Beautiful book, beautiful patterns. The photography is gorgeous and I think there is something for everyone in this book.
I'm impressed and can't wait to start thouse socks.

1 comments:

Shadkitty said...

You should join the green sock KAL. It's very open-ended. Meaning there is no rush to sign up or anything.